ESCAPE OF THE WINGED TORTOISE
As the climate warms and the seas rise, fundamental changes are occurring in this dystopian world I've created. Tortoises are evolving to become more resilient in this dangerous environment... they are growing wings. This one is escaping from her worldly bonds.
Project yourself into a different world; a fantasy world... one that may seem familiar to you. In this world, we watch, blindly, as our farms turn to deserts, our cities are flooded, and our population explodes. This world is ailing, but we optimistically look forward to better times when technology will solve all our problems.
But will it? Can environmental bureaucrats re-engineer our society to be more green? We trust them with our lives and our environment, even as they unleash unproven technology to unexpected consequences. We may laugh at their antics and their solutions, but we are optimists and they are powerful.
Is this world better for their involvement? Is the air more clean? The water more pure? The harvest more plentiful? Or do their reckless projects mock the ideas of renewal and redemption?
These are the themes of The Environmental Series, which use surrealistic imagery, fantasy, and, yes, humor to show a world of inept leadership and absurd solutions to environmental problems. Each painting tells the story of our constant efforts to make things better. Each one reflects our naive certainty that technology will solve our problems. Is there optimism in these paintings? You be the judge.
John Leben is a digital artist, and as such paints his pictures in his computer using powerful software, offering prints of his original compositions. That makes Leben a printmaker who uses digital technology for expression and reproduction. Paper prints are produced by the artist in his Saugatuck, Michigan studio. Canvas prints are produced one at a time at the Grand Rapids Michigan studio. All prints are individually signed and numbered by the artist.
Epson Watercolor paper Prints
• Watercolor paper prints are printed with archival Epson pigment inks on Epson Cold Press Bright Textured Paper, a 100% cotton rag paper that is acid, lignin, and chlorine free with a bright textured finish. Epson Cold Press Bright paper has a high color gamut and black density and is pH buffered with calcium carbonate for a true archival sheet.
• Unframed limited edition prints are shipped rolled.
• Framed limited edition prints are backed by acid-free foam core and glazed with reflection control acrylic for UV protection. Frames are museum-style matte black aluminum, Nielson profile 93-21
• All of John Leben's limited editions on paper feature distinctive deckled edges around the image with a generous white border that eliminates the need for a mat.
Premier Art Museum Bright Satin Canvas Prints
• Canvases are printed with archival Epson pigment inks on PremierArt Museum Bright Satin Canvas. Each canvas is also coated with PremierArt Eco Print Shield, a solvent-free soft gloss varnish that provides physical and UV protection for your print.
• Medium canvases (30x30 inches) are stretched on 3/4 inch hardwood stretcher bars and printed with a black edge suitable for hanging as a gallery wrap.
• Large canvas (40x40 inches) are stretched on 1-1/2 inch hardwood stretcher bars and printed with a black edge suitable for hanging as a gallery wrap.
• Framed medium canvas prints are framed in a walnut wood floater frame.
• Framed large canvas prints are framed in a black wood floater frame.
• Extra large canvas prints are available in custom sizes. Contact John Leben: JLEBEN@LEBENART.COM
Square Format on Paper
Note Card - 5x5 inches
Open Edition With Envelope 14
DIY Frame for Note Card - 7x7 inches
Mat & Glass 24
Small - Edition of 150
Paper Size: 12x12 inches/Image Size: 9x9 inches
Medium - Edition of 100
Paper Size: 17x17 inches/Image size: 13x13 inches
Large - Edition of 15
Paper Size: 24x24 inches/Image Size: 18x18 inches
Square Format on Canvas
Medium - Edition of 30
Canvas and Image Size: 36x36 inches
Gallery Wrap 850
Large - Edition of 15
Canvas and Image Size: 42x42 inches
NOTE FROM THE ARTIST
“Hey, thanks so much for stopping by and thank you for your interest in my work. I am constantly producing new work so please check back regularly. Also, keep in mind that many limited editions can be produced in additional custom sizes. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding my work. Take care and thanks for your support.” - John